The Madonna of Excelsior Study Notes
Award-winning Zakes Mda's The Madonna of Excelsior tells the shocking story of a family at the heart of the notorious 1971 case in which nineteen citizens of Excelsior in the Free State were charged with breaking apartheid's Immorality Act, which forbade sex between black and white. Niki, the fallen Madonna, Popi, her daughter by an eminent white citizen of the town, and Viliki, the betrayed son, all have to come to terms with the repercussions of the events, but find resolution in surprising ways.
- These Study Notes will guide learners and teachers through exploring the novel and are an invaluable guide in preparing for examinations.
- They include information on the historical and political background of the Excelsior incident.
- an outline of the important characters and themes
- chapter-by-chapter summaries, highlighting the focal points of the story
- questions, plus the answers, to guide successful study of the novel.
We Also Recommend