The Great Gatsby
America the 1920s the spirit and excitement of the 'Jazz Age' and an underlying atmosphere of careless violence.
F. Scott Fitzgerald's masterpiece, The Great Gatsby, encapsulates it all through the eyes of Nick Carraway as he watches the lavish lifestyles of the rich and their pursuit of happiness. Central to the drama is Jay Gatsby, an enigmatic hero, who, driven by his love for the unattainable Daisy Buchanan, blindly pursues his American dream. This new edition for South African learners includes study notes.
- a concise plot summary, and information on characters, themes and symbols to help you analyse the novel
- a short biography of F. Scott Fitzgerald
- a clear glossary of literary terms
- footnotes explaining unfamiliar words
- examination-style questions, and the answers, plus guidance on how to answer an essay question well.