Oxford South African Secondary School Dictionary Grade 8 - 12
Meeting every learners needs and all the curriculum requirements, this superb user-friendly dictionary was specially developed for South African learners in Grades 8 to 12. Packed with valuable information and on-the-spot guidance. Finally, an indispensable reference section provides: information on irregular verbs; spelling rules; the history of English; a range of useful diagrams, illustrations and charts and more.
- 45 000 words and phrases, including superb coverage of key concepts from the curriculum, such as assessment standard, biome, orthophotograph, Randlord, xerophyte
- an exceptionally clear layout, meaning learners will find what they are looking for quickly!
- accurate, up-to-date and relevant definitions that promote speaking, reading and writing skills, leading to exam success
- simple pronunciation guides for difficult or unusual words, e.g. calyx /kay-liks/
- word origins for thousands of words, from languages as diverse as Latin, Khoikhoi, and Ronga
- new words and meanings from South African English and beyond: biodiversity, browser, genetically modified, Internet, khalifa, nucleosynthesis, tik, vuvuzela
- guidance on writing better exams, essays, and study notes
- word-building using prefixes and suffixes
- tips on understanding and interpreting line and bar graphs
- a quiz including a range of activities and answers.