Municipal Management - Serving The People 3rd Ed.
What are the dynamics around the quality and quantity of municipal services in South Africa? What kind of systemic, structural and managerial adjustments should be made to improve local government? Who decides what in municipalities? How could active citizen participation in local affairs be stimulated? These and other questions are addressed in Municipal Management: Serving the people 3e.
The authors take a bird’s-eye view of issues such as the constitutional dispensation, regulatory frameworks, municipal administrative and managerial systems, community and political dynamics, as well as municipal functions and services.
Chapter 1 Municipal management: An orientation
Chapter 2 Fostering local democracy
Chapter 3 The statutory and regulatory framework for local government
Chapter 4 Municipal structures
Chapter 5 Local government and its external environment
Chapter 6 Integrated development planning as an approach to sustainable development
Chapter 7 Managing municipal performance
Chapter 8 Local economic development and municipalities in South Africa
Chapter 9 Local government and service delivery
Chapter 10 Municipal human resource management
Chapter 11 Municipal financial management
Chapter 12 Municipal supply chain management
Of Interest and Benefit to:
This book is written to orientate and capacitate scholars and practitioners in the field of local governance. It is also an essential resource for political representatives, municipal officials, community-based organisations and development agencies
This third edition reflects new features of, and the latest developments in, the local sphere of government, which makes the book even more relevant to –
• Contextualise the local sphere of government within a system of co-operative governance and intergovernmental relations
• Appreciate the role and functioning of local, district and metropolitan municipalities in South Africa
• Uncover core municipal policies, strategies and programmes
• Comprehend the significance of municipal capacity for effective resource utilisation and service delivery
• Pinpoint best practice regarding managerial systems, processes and procedures.
We Also Recommend
'baie worde' : Identiteit en transformasie by Antjie Krog
'n Hele OS Vir 'n Ou Broodmes : Grond En Die Plaasnarratief Sedert 1595